Wednesday 13 April 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to ‘Yet Another Travel Blog’. As I’m sure many of you are aware Alex and I are becoming professional vagabonds and setting off on our round-the-world adventure on 18th April.


This blog is my way of sharing our adventure, and no doubt weird and wonderful stories along the way! As well as a chance to share photos, places we have been too, places we have liked and places we have disliked.  

“So, are you excited?” It’s probably the question I’ve been asked most often in the past few weeks. The answer people are looking for, of course, is something like, “Yeah, I’m really excited.” The truth is I really am, but also a little apprehensive about living out of a backpack for an indefinite period of time with little or no grasp of any of the languages of the countries we are going too (apart from a few basic phrases from my Lonely Planet book!)

I recently read an article in the Daily Mail (don’t judge me!) about the science of pleasure, specifically relating to travel. Researchers who have studied how people feel about a holiday before, during and after the trip have found that people are happiest while anticipating their trips — happier even than when they’re actually on holiday.

If anticipation is so powerful for someone going on a lad’s holiday to Faliraki, a romantic getaway or a camping trip to Newquay, then it certainly is for someone going on a months-long trip around the world!


I think, at a certain point, all the preparation that goes into a trip this big can overshadow just how exciting an opportunity it really is. So having quit my job, moved out of my flat, opened a bank account, had 6 injections and given away my car, soon the only task left will be looking forward to the trip!

Our first point of call is Bangkok on the 20th April. So if anyone has any tips of places to stay, must see places to go, or if you’re going to be in the area then please get in touch!

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I can't give tips for Thailand, but if you want any advice re Australia then drop me a line deary. And I'm following, how kind am I. You better do some bloody good posts matey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, i will try! Probably won't be as frequent as yours though! Your off to Thailand soon too aren't you? x

    ReplyDelete